by Sonya Nelsen
There is nothing like homemade Granola. I love this recipe because it packs in a lot of good healthy ingredients and is low in sugar and oil. I’ve played around with several granola recipes and this is the result. Love the flavor and the fact that the oil and sugar are kept to a minimum. I’m sure you could decrease them even more but I’m satisfied with this. The Nelsen family loves it.
Homemade Nutty Granola
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a small saucepan, warm brown sugar, the applesauce, honey, vanilla extract, salt, cinnamon and oil over low heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the remaining ingredients except dried cranberries.
- Add the applesauce mixture to the oat mixture, stirring until everything is evenly coated.
- Spread the mixture onto two baking sheets. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until the granola is a golden brown color.
- Allow to cool completely and add the dried cranberries. Store in an airtight container.
Make this recipe your own. Beyond the oats you can add the ingredients you desire or have on hand. I often use pine nuts, walnuts and sometimes substitute raisins for the cranberries.
Do you have a favorite granola recipe? or maybe you have another favorite you would like to share with our readers. Drop me an email and we can see about adding it to our website – Sonya